1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you have a site question, check out the Site Support forum or Help Tab. Need to talk to a staff member? Message or Contact Us!
    Dismiss Notice

Asymmetric VR Multiplayer in Dreams

Discussion in 'Dreams Discussion' started by BLAHBLAH1000, Feb 13, 2018.

1. BLAHBLAH1000

BLAHBLAH1000 The advocate for Fuzzy

Back in my ol' minecraft days I used to love playing custom user-created gamemodes that could be downloaded or hosted on external servers. A bunch of favorites that come to mind is Spleef, Hunger Games, and The Walls. There was one game however that I constantly nagged my friends to play called Minotaur. This gamemode pitted one player as a menacing and powerful beast while the other players tried to navigate and survive in an ever-changing maze of doors. I don't know why I was so fascinated by this gamemode but I do remember it being a hell of a lot of fun! This was my first experience with the asymmetric multiplayer genre where teams are split up unevenly but the goals and mechanics keep the game balanced.

Shortly after my established love for this genre, Turtle Rock Studios announced their upcoming game Evolve which was pitched a 1v4 experience involving an alien monster being hunted by colonists. I was ecstatic over this announcement and followed every developer livestream I could get my hands on before release. Unfortunately upon release the game didn't live up to it's hype and got demolished by critics. I thoroughly enjoyed the game throughout it's multiple betas and full release, however the games marketing targeted esports and competitive play which didn't stand a chance against the competition of CSGO and League of Legends. Combine this with absurdly-priced DLC (including putting new characters and classes behind a paywall) and the game fell flat with the community shriveling up and moving on to better games. Despite this I still loved Turtle Rocks vision and the game was a blast when it was me and a bunch of friends just playing for fun. It feels great to be the monster and it's the first Asymmetric game to really challenge the triple-A market.

Since Evolve there really hasn't been a market for asymmetric games like these. The closest I've ever got to playing something like this is experimental LittleBigPlanet levels. Because of this I kinda just erased this genre from my memory and accepted that it wouldn't come back to the current state of the industry. However, a couple days ago I discovered a hidden gem in the Steam marketplace which revived my love for these kinds of games. It's a VR title called Mass Exodus.

I bought this game since it was on sale and didn't have high expectations. Was mostly just getting it so me and my friends could have a good laugh. Thankfully this game knocks it out of the park! One player puts on the VR headset to assume the role of a "boss" robot running a factory while the others play as rogue androids (aka rebellious workers) on the monitor. The rogue players must blend into an AI crowd (similar to Assassin's Creed multiplayer) and switch off generators around the map to shut down the big bad boss. The boss must find all the impostor androids and destroy them before they can ruin its establishment. It's the perfectly tense cat-and-mouse gameplay that I haven't seen since Evolve and I absolutely love it!

I believe that VR is going to revive the asymmetric multiplayer genre because they're a match made in heaven. The problem with most VR titles is that they are very "antisocial" games where you and your friends must take turns in the headset to equally distribute the experience. However this game uses this disconnection to it's advantage since the people without the headset must work together as a team to trick and outsmart their blind, powerful friend. Instead of distributing the full experience one-at-a-time, the experience is divided into different but equally intriguing roles. Mass Exodus, while still rough around the edges, is the perfect model of how to use asymmetric multiplayer. Since Dreams will eventually get VR support I'd love to see people explore this new avenue to help it branch out and become more appealing to a wider audience. You can bet your top dollar that I'll be developing with this in mind!

What do you guys think of asymmetric games? Are there any good ones that I haven't mentioned? Leave a reply below!

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018 at 11:54 PM
  2. I also enjoyed Evolve and really liked the asymmetric play, along with the coop aspect (I don't like - or play- competitive). Therefore, I am fully in favor of using Dreams to develop something along those lines. Love to see how this might play out (no pun intended).

BLAHBLAH1000 likes this.
  3. I didn't know that this was even a genre, btw, thank you for sharing!

I remember that I had a lot of fun with levels like these games in LBP2. That's something I was wishing more games have into it since it can really be a lot of fun. It reminds me that one of my first experience with this kind of multiplayer experience was in some Mario party's mini games.
    The most fun minigames from Mario Party was the MP-Assymetric ones!

BLAHBLAH1000 likes this.
  4. BLAHBLAH1000

BLAHBLAH1000 The advocate for Fuzzy

I love Mario party! I always go Waluigi or Daisy. There are a bunch of smart minigames but my favorite will always be the soda shake one because everyone looks... strange while doing it.