1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you have a site question, check out the Site Support forum or Help Tab. Need to talk to a staff member? Message or Contact Us!
    Dismiss Notice

DIY VR Gun Stock

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by BLAHBLAH1000, Jan 30, 2018.

  1. BLAHBLAH1000

    BLAHBLAH1000 The advocate for Fuzzy

    Hey everybody!

    A couple weeks ago I found out I had access to some 3D printers at my dorm. I couldn't think of any practical things to print for a while, but after playing the PC VR shooter Onward I realized I could print parts to make a PVC pipe gun stock for my Oculus controllers. This would make aiming two-handed weapons easier and more immersive so I decided to give it a shot. I've never been a "DIY handyman" in the past so I thought this would be a good chance to get my hands dirty and sharpen some skills.

    I've been documenting my progress over on twitter to show my thought process and help others who are also new 3D printing and DIY in general.

    Jan 21:
    Bought a bunch of PVC pipes, screws, magnets, and glue to make a VR gun stock. Will also 3D print some community-made cups which will hold the actual controllers and connect to the pipe. You could 3D print an entire stock but this method is much easier and faster.

    Here's the link to the 3D parts I'm using:

    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2560490


    Jan 22:
    PVC is cut and ready. Now just gotta wait for the cups to print.

    [​IMG]


    Jan 23:
    Got the cups and clamps printed. Spent this morning cleaning them up and gluing magnets into them. Here was the fresh print:

    [​IMG]

    Here’s the parts after a bit of cleanup. Magnets are glued in and the stock worked pretty well during rough assembly. Just waiting for the glue on the clamp magnets to dry and then I can test gameplay tomorrow.

    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

    For my first time ever 3D printing I think these came out great (minus the ugly color). I’m hoping the gorilla glue will be strong enough to hold the magnet so I don’t have to go out and buy industrial glue or something. We’ll find out tomorrow!


    Jan 24:
    1st test is pretty successful. Clamps are perfect and the glue has kept everything together so far. I accidentally dropped one of the grips like an idiot and it cracked so I’ll have to print another one. Might replace the right hand as a solid part so it’s more stable.

    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]


    Jan 29:
    Took forever but I finally printed some new parts. New prints are much nicer than the previous. I’m gluing the right cup and clamp for extra stability since the all-magnet setup is not quite strong enough. These’ll be ready to test tomorrow!

    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]


    Jan 30:
    Stock finished and works perfectly! It could still benefit with a new set of higher-quality parts but for now it’s completely functional. One of the cups had a small crack because of my manhandling while jamming the magnet in but a little glue did the trick.

    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

    I’ll record and post a video sometime this week to summarize this thread and show gameplay of this bad boy.


    Jan 31
    Here's some test footage of the stock. I do a couple shots with and without the stock for comparison. Might make a full video later but no promises!


    I'll keep my progress updated here on Dreambubble but if you'd like to see the original twitter thread click HERE.​
     
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
    ChefGino likes this.

Share This Page