1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you have a site question, check out the Site Support forum or Help Tab. Need to talk to a staff member? Message or Contact Us!
    Dismiss Notice

Dreams Beta Delay Announcement

Discussion in 'News' started by hyperdude95, Dec 16, 2016.

1. hyperdude95

hyperdude95 Dreamer Staff Member

[​IMG]
    Hi everyone!

I hope you are all doing well, it has been a while since I posted something! As we look forward to the holidays and the approaching new year, Media Molecule has issued an update regarding the beta trial for Dreams. In this update they have stated a delay, which was understandably expected in the back of our heads, and personally I am happy they at least addressed the delay was happening!

It is without a doubt that Media Molecule has made extreme progress internally regarding Dreams itself such as implementating working rough cut of the full feature set, starting the QA/developer version of the trial and making good progress on the game campaign they are making within Dreams!

Dreams is extremely ambitious after all, and they don't want to give us anything unfinished! But all in all, it was amazing that Media Molecule cares enough to address the delay and are working to give us their true ambition of the game they have dreamed of making for the past 5 years! So Media Molecule, at the end of the day we love you! Keep doing what you are doing, and hopefully we will see more of Dreams in 2017!

Feel free to diccuss your feelings of the delay here, just remember to be respectful among everyone's opinions!

For the official statement, you can read it here!

Happy Holidays!

BLAHBLAH1000 likes this.
  2. snas

snas all u ladies pop ur thrussies like this

this wasn't really to big of a surprise for me, i kinda saw it coming for some reason...
    im guessing the beta will release autumn 2017

3. MM: "Information Soon™"

Me:

snas likes this.
  4. I think we've all seen enough games rushed and buggy games to appreciate the importance of a necessary delay ;)

5. Bonnell7

Bonnell7 General Admiral

Let's not forget that Media Molecule is still owned by Sony.
    They may have more reserve than Sumo did when Sony pressured them into releasing LBP3, bugs and all, but Sony still ultimately calls the shots.
    My hope is that Alex, Mark, and the rest of the team have given Sony ample reason to be patient.

snas and Pookachoo like this.
  6. Oh please don't make me more depressed... :(

BubbleBuddy and snas like this.
  7. snas

eh, if we get lucky we'll probably get a mid summer release i guess

8. BLAHBLAH1000

BLAHBLAH1000 The advocate for Fuzzy

2017 December 31 11:59pm hype!

snas, ApparentlyShane and Mora like this.
  9. I'm very happy the responses from people have been positive, understanding and supportive.

Speaks well for the kind of community we'll probably have when Dreams is out. :Excited:

10. That's fair. I'd imagine Jenny, Danny and the rest of the community teams are going to have their hands full when the beta does get announced. It would be better for all involved to manage thing after the holidays.

11. It's good to know they're taking their time with it, I always kind of thourght a 2016 beta date was a tad too optimistic (which is probably why I wasn't holding my breath for it, haha). I'm glad they're giving us info though, and with what they talk about in the blog post, I look forward to seeing what they've been working on.
    And besides, It's kind of a tradition that Mm games get delayed at this point, haha. :)

I think it's worth remembering how long and how much effort game development can take, and in all honesty, a delay is a good reminder of that.
    Is that weird that I think like that? I think it might be weird.

Also, bonus points for the lovely bit of dream art. :iota:

hyperdude95 likes this.
  12. hyperdude95

hyperdude95 Dreamer Staff Member

Lol, i wish i had something to do with the beta stuff. If i do hear of any updates, i will let you guys know though!

-hyper

13. snas

14. Well you are the head of the community. Regardless of how much of a role you, and the rest of the community staff, do have in the beta process (I'd imagine it would have more to do with participant selection, than anything else), you all are still going to have your hands full fending off all the inquiries and requests.

When this thing does get announced, I suppose the best advice I can give is "brace for impact." :chill:

15. Moleynator

Moleynator Resident fart bubble

I think I will also be in the same kind of situation as Danny.

My advice is to not make it too public until the long term fans have been "rewarded". They are the people that are at the core of the community and will help it be a success.

It is also worth thinking about who will have the skills and enthusiasm to test the game properly. I have a list of people (albeit in my head) that I will want to get into the beta, not because they want to be in (Although they will want to be in) but because they will help make the game better by being able to influence it, or give it a wider reaching audience.

In any case, it isn't a chore to do any of this stuff. It's part of the fun! :)

BLAHBLAH1000 likes this.
  16. BLAHBLAH1000

Completely agree with this! A big issue with the LBP3 beta (at least in my experience) was the number of glitchers excluded from the beta. These people could've completely broken the game and given great feedback to the devs. Instead more people focused on playing the game instead of testing it. I'm not saying you're not allowed to casually play a beta, there just needs to be a balance of high and low skilled players.

17. Moleynator

Moleynator Resident fart bubble

I bet less than 1% of large test groups actually submit any feedback.

Most "betas" are for publicity these days anyway. Releasing it 2 weeks before a game comes out isn't going to give you the time to improve anything.

BLAHBLAH1000 likes this.
  18. Bonnell7

Bonnell7 General Admiral

That there's an interesting point...
    One could say that BETA's have been shifted away from technical, partially unbiased refinement, to publicity stunts because of poor participant feedback in the past.
    But at the same time, we could argue that poor selection of participants could be the underlying cause of the issue.
    It's even possible that individuals who are both hardcore fans, and have strong social media connections, are specifically selected to hype the game using verbal, and even exaggerated depictions of their in-game experiences.

To be frank, I'd love for the BETA to be treated as classic BETA tests should. And not be a kind of complex teaser.

BLAHBLAH1000 likes this.
  19. BLAHBLAH1000

I'm expecting the Dreams beta to be like the LBP ones, mainly focused on the create tools and less on the story. Betas like Destiny aimed to get as many people playing as possible and hook them into buying the full game. Since this game is appealing more to artists and future game designers the marketing should reflect that. I'm confident that Mm will focus on bugs first and marketing in the later stages. If they wanted to hook people into the game they could have a free "Play" demo with community-made levels.

Bonnell7 likes this.
  20. They could've at least give us some photos to keep people on the hype train. Now that they didn't give us anything to get hyped about, most people stopped following Dreams.

Nightmares likes this.