1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you have a site question, check out the Site Support forum or Help Tab. Need to talk to a staff member? Message or Contact Us!
    Dismiss Notice

Dreams FAQ

Discussion in 'Dreams Discussion' started by Moleynator, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Moleynator

Moleynator Resident fart bubble

https://sackinima.com/2017/11/14/dreams-for-ps4-faq/

I tried to sum up some of the main questions people have about Dreams in one place. It can be difficult to find this information without trawling through Twitter and other sources.

Do you think I missed anything? Is everything clear? It'd be good to get some feedback!

Yonderland likes this.
  2. sackchief

sackchief Imaginative Creator

Definitely a question I’ve seen is just how much space do we have to create.  Don’t think Mm ever answered this.

3. Alex said in a stream "We don't impose any geometric limits" and that there is no limit on how far apart you can space things.

sackchief likes this.
  4. does the sculpting in Dreams operate using typical polygon modelling or is it some other more advanced system?

5. sackchief

Oh really?  I’m interested in seeing how far the game can be pushed.

6. Alex mentioned in his Umbra talk that for the game, space is actually only created around objects. So if you put two objects very far apart from each other, there will only be 'space' in the immedeate radius of those objects. for the game, all that space in between object A and B doesnt exist. So yea... i imagine the scale itself to be somewhere around.... infinite

That is also a good question that alex answers in his Umbra talk. Its very interesting, because he tells us of their journey to finding the perfect engine and art style. In short, its not polygons, its splats.

have a look at the mentioned talk he held at Umbra Ignite.
    Its rather technical and more from a developer point of view, but I think everyone can take away a thing or two. (he also shows a small animated sequence as well as some examples of how animations in objects could look like)

Yonderland likes this.
  7. From what I've seen, there will be ways to optimize your content so that world size is absolutely not a concern.  From what they've show already, areas can be quite massive, and that was way before the optimization they've surely done in the meantime.
    Regarding the renderer, it appears to be a splat/voxel hybrid, so volumes not vertices. Also a lot of shader tricks to vary the surfaces of those volumes. From what they've shown, you can run into some problems when you scale WAY UP, but you'd have to start tiny, and blow a thing up to ridiculous proportions.  Easy solution to that is to make things fairly large when you want a fairly large thing in your scene rather than blow up something tiny.

ChefGino likes this.
  8. QuietlyWrong

QuietlyWrong Waiting for sleep

Hi Moley, looks like a good list of questions (and answers!) to me!

With respect to Move controllers, I think you should point out that if you want to use Move, you will need two Move controllers*. Also the 'PlayStation Eye' camera was for PS3 and absolutely won't work (don't use the word 'Eye'); you DO need the PS4-specific 'PlayStation Camera'.

I've seen people ask about 'PS3 Move controllers' though, and, because it causes optimum confusion, unlike the camera, Move controllers bought for a PS3 are the same as those currently sold for the PS4 and will be fine.

* because I've seen nothing on it, I'll assume that one Move plus one DS4 is not an option.

9. sackchief

Speaking of peripherals, I wonder if the navigation controller works with the game.  That device seems to be totally abandoned.

10. QuietlyWrong

I still have my navi controllers. But I think the fact that Sony sells Move controllers in pairs nowadays tells you all you need to know.

As with LBP, I expect if you wanted to you could use logic to create Dreams that work well with the navi controller.

11. Moleynator

Thanks for your comments! I've updated the post to clarify PS Move compatibility and also a couple of the technical questions at the end. I've done my best to explain them succinctly, but let me know if they are clear enough... or correct. :p

12. QuietlyWrong

A couple of potential FAQs I haven't seen answered yet are whether Dreams will support higher resolutions (PS4 Pro?), HDR, that sort of thing...

Could PS4 Pro split the community - making some levels playable with Pro only? (I suppose like PS4 vs PS3 LBP3).

13. Moleynator

All I've seen are discussions from community members. Nothing from Mm so I wouldn't want to guess anything yet! Something we can ask at PSX. :)

14. QuietlyWrong

Looks like the VGA trailer answers the HDR / 4K-Pro question, at least partially. XD