1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you have a site question, check out the Site Support forum or Help Tab. Need to talk to a staff member? Message or Contact Us!
    Dismiss Notice

Media Molecule Interview at PSX (Ask your questions!)

Discussion in 'News' started by hyperdude95, Dec 3, 2015.

1. hyperdude95

hyperdude95 Dreamer Staff Member

Hey everyone!

We are excited to announce that one of our own at dreambubble is going to be going to PSX and the kind folks of Media Molecule were kind enough to do a interview there about Dreams!

We are only two days away, so we wanted to give you the opportunity to ask your questions about Dreams and they may be mentioned in the interview, so please post them here!

Questions
    • Will facial animation of expressions be possible?
    • Will there be lipsyncing?
    • Will we be allowed multiple audio files for different characters?
    • Will we have the options to export our videos in HD and not just export to YouTube or shareplay?
    • Will there be transparent objects with reflections for windows and ice etc.
    • Will objects color/properties changing be something that can be animated? Like, a blue opaque ball gradually becoming red and transparent.
    • Will there be cloth simulation?Not complete because that would be insane, but will we be able to simulate a cape blowing in the wind, or a flag?
    • Will we be able to make similar simulation to hair/feathers?
    • We saw modeling includes both soft and hard blending. Can that be preserved for animation as well to simulate blobby things moving and morphing or simply human flesh?
    • Will there be water simulation (just like lbp)?
    • How diverse can sky boxes be; can they not only be 'loose', but tight and realistic?
    • Will we have traditional animation alternatives, rather than automatic so it's more strict like a majority of gameplay in other games?
    • I what point did Dreams become Dreams, was the engine built then you decided what
      to do with it.
    • Who will own the copyright of models built in dreams as if you export them (as mentioned by you) does the creator or Sony hold onto the creation rights.
    • Will levels be held on PS4 or on a cloud based system.
    • Is much difference in control between the standard controller and the move controller when it comes to sculpturing.
    • Will there be a maximum uploaded Dream, object, etc., limitation? If so, what is the expected limit?
    • Will there be DLC?
    • What is the expected maximum amount of players in a single session?
    • How complex will the music/sound-effect creation tools be?
    • Will there be a narrator for the game? (I think you know where I'm going with this one :p )
    • How will Dreams in VR deal with camera panning/vection, and other issues which tend to cause motion sickness?
    • Will there be a variety of walking patterns or walk designer included for characters?
    • Will there be ragdoll physics for characters?
    • Would really like to know about player numbers, how online works and also if we can create offline if psn goes down or your internet is not working. Forced always online connection isn't popular with anyone ?
    • If you dont want cant afford ps+ for a month eg. will you be froze out of the create mode completely?
    • Can we create characters (enemies) with ai similar to other games which will react to the main playable character for that level/dream?
    • Can we have background characters like extras on a movie that will go about their business eg walking by, talking to other extras, etc.?
    • will there be animation presets?
    • can we have a character switch weapons?
    • can we have transforming characters?
    • can we make educational games?
    • can we make quiz games?
    • have different companies expressed interest in putting their IPs in dreams?
    • - Will there be the option to include music from other, legal sources? Meaning royalty-free, properly licensed music?
    • How advance will the logic be in the game, for example, will one be able to write actual code for their creations using a certain language, or will it strictly be stuck to logic pieces, or maybe even a combination of the two?
    • -Can you give any details on the story? Like the main character, basic outline of the story, how do you plan on expressing the idea of dreams through the story?
    • -Any more info on the beta, is it going to be open or close or both, date and how long it will last ect?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
  2. Moleynator

Moleynator Resident fart bubble

Ah cool!

Who's going?

I would like them to talk about creating logic in the game. Lots of people will be looking at how things are going to be able to move and interact and everything, but we haven't seen that side at all yet! (Apart from the very early bits I saw last year... nothing public.)

Also, camera movements!

Other people will be interested in the music performance side as well so if they could talk about that it would be pretty cool. Not for me so much, but I know it will be good for some of the musical people in the community.

hyperdude95 likes this.
  3. hyperdude95

We are going to talk about confirmed stuff (if new stuff is coming out at PSX, that too). But we will try to ask as much as we can, maybe something will be hinted who knows!

-hyper

4. I hope there's a long time allocated for the interview cos by the time it comes around this thread will be as long as a long thing!

Will facial animation of expressions be possible?
    Will there be lipsyncing?
    Will we be allowed multiple audio files for different characters?
    Will we have the options to export our videos in HD and not just export to YouTube or shareplay?
    Will there be transparent objects with reflections for windows and ice etc.

More to follow..

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2015
    Cashmere and hyperdude95 like this.
  5. hyperdude95

We wanted to give a couple of days so people can gather up questions, so i thought now would be a great time!

-hyper

6. Blual

Blual Guest

-Will objects color/properties changing be something that can be animated? Like, a blue opaque ball gradually becoming red and transparent.
    -Will there be cloth simulation?Not complete because that would be insane, but will we be able to simulate a cape blowing in the wind, or a flag?
    -Will we be able to make similar simulation to hair/feathers?
    -We saw modeling includes both soft and hard blending. Can that be preserved for animation as well to simulate blobby things moving and morphing or simply human flesh?
    -Will there be water simulation (just like lbp)?

I must know! D:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2015
    hyperdude95 likes this.
  7. Here goes...

-Will there be a maximum uploaded Dream, object, etc., limitation? If so, what is the expected limit?
    -Will there be DLC?
    -What is the expected maximum amount of players in a single session?
    -How complex will the music/sound-effect creation tools be?
    -Will there be a narrator for the game? (I think you know where I'm going with this one :p )

That's all I got at the moment. Have fun at PSX, hyper. :D

hyperdude95 likes this.
  8. I know this is slightly left fielld,

I what point did Dreams become Dreams, was the engine built then you decided  what to do with it.

Who will own the copyright of models built in dreams as if you export them (as mentioned by you) does the creator or Sony hold onto the creation rights.

Will levels be held on PS4 or on a cloud based system.

Is much difference in control between the standard controller and the move controller when it comes to sculpturing.

hyperdude95 and Goober1823 like this.
  9. - How diverse can sky boxes be; can they not only be 'loose', but tight and realistic?
    -Will we have traditional animation alternatives, rather than automatic so it's more strict like a majority of gameplay in other games?

hyperdude95 likes this.
  10. How will Dreams in VR deal with camera panning/vection, and other issues which tend to cause motion sickness?

hyperdude95 likes this.
  11. Will there be a variety of walking patterns or walk designer included for characters?

Will there be ragdoll physics for characters?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2015
    hyperdude95 likes this.
  12. Would really like to know about player numbers, how online works and also if we can create offline if psn goes down or your internet is not working. Forced always online connection isn't popular  with anyone ?

hyperdude95 likes this.
  13. Yeah I agree there should be a way of storing your level offline on your ps4 once is has been created. I imagine it's really required to create it first though!

14. I mean more so to sculpt and store from scratch without a connection. If you dont want \cant afford ps+ for a month eg. will you be froze out of the  create mode completely ? Surely not !

hyperdude95 likes this.
  15. Can we create characters (enemies) with ai similar to other games which will react to the main playable character for that level/dream?

Can we have background characters like extras on a movie that will go about their business eg walking by, talking to other extras, etc.?

16. cold porcelain

cold porcelain former dreamblade collector

will there be animation presets?
    can we have a character switch weapons?
    can we have transforming characters?  
    can we make educational games?
    can we make quiz games?
    have different companies expressed interest in putting their IPs in dreams?

17. How advance will the logic be in the game, for example, will one be able to write actual code for their creations using a certain language, or will it strictly be stuck to logic pieces, or maybe even a combination of the two?

Can you give any details on the story?  Like the main character, basic outline of the story, how do you plan on expressing the idea of dreams through the story?

Any more info on the beta, is it going to be open or close or both, date and how long it will last ect?

18. Why do men have nipples?

If you had to be an animal for a day what would you be?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2015
  19. Hello to all you fellow dreamers :)

Here's quite a question, or rather a suggestion...

- Will there be the option to include music from other, legal sources? Meaning royalty-free, properly licensed music? Some creators might want to upload/include music that is available, but not within Dreams. EXAMPLE: jamendo.com has music licensed under Creative Commons. If music has the proper CC license, (like, "CC-BY") that music may be included even in commercial products like Dreams without any restrictions except the fact that the artist name/source has to be mentioned.
    This could be solved by collaborating with sources like Jamendo (like a "CC-Music API") that displays the artist name when it starts to play within the game.

The result would be literally hundreds and thousands of high-quality songs already available to use, legally and without royalty hassle, within Dreams!

I would LOVE to suggest that idea to MediaMolecule. All dreamers would benefit from this, and the involved cost would (probably) be minor!

I heard on Twitter that an offline creation mode is in. You can create stuff just offline for yourself, no need to upload it.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2015
    hyperdude95 and Cashmere like this.
  20. hyperdude95

Please keep the stuff Dreams related, its a Dreams based interview! :)

-hyper

Blual likes this.